Selecting the perfect strimmer could make a massive difference between having a forest and a clean garden. If the strimmer is user-friendly you are more likely to use it.
When you're on the lookout for a new strimmer it's worth asking what you need it to do.
If you just want the boundary and fence line to be tidied up then a lightweight cordless or electric strimmer is sufficient. If you need to remove brambles or rough overgrown soil then you need a strong machine, like a petrol strimmer or a cordless one that has plenty of oomph.
Look for features that will make your life simpler. Here are four things you can take into consideration when selecting strimmers:
- Auto feed spool – Strimmers are using a plastic string that rotates to productively cut grass or weeds at high revolution. The line was designed to split once it encounters a hard surface so it doesn't get twisted. Even the thread will need to be replaced as it would wear out.
- Telescopic shaft - Adjustable shafts help you identify a favourable work position to save on your back, and more effective strimmers would have a greater reach so that you can keep them away from your feet. This is the right time to say that in flip flops you should never trim your lawn. Wear strong boots all the time.
- Grips – an ergonomic grip is a big plus and a second grip makes it much easier to strim. They balance out their weight so that you don't end up with one arm that's sore.
- A harness – Look for a comfortable harness if you have a heavier strimmer in mind that would cut through the brush and the undergrowth.
There are more ways than one to get a couple of lines from your strimmer. Here is how:
- Auto feed spool - The line immediately comes out
- Manual - User lets out the thread
- When you knock the head on the table, the bump feed line comes out
Some Things to Remember When Using Strimmers Out in the Wild
It would be unfair to our wild habitat if we refrain from mentioning the damages strimmers may cause to harmless wildlife.
Having said that, there are ways to minimize the harm me may impose using strimmers out in the wild.
Following are some good practices in this regard.
Rake first over long grass or undergrowth. It offers grass snakes, toads, frogs, hedgehogs, and mice a fighting chance to hide out of sight.
Keep in mind animals such as hedgehogs will rather snuggle up and escape risk, so watch what you're doing and never put a strimmer somewhere you can't see the line of cut.
It may sound like a fuss, but it's less troublesome than trying to track down a rescue operation or vet for animals that can take in your wounded creature, and it also prevents distressing your children.
Many gardeners already know how to use a strimmer. But, you would be surprised to learn that not everyone learned to master the art of trimming.
How Do You Use a Garden Trimmer?
Many people are hesitant about using strimmers, given that they're noisy and that spinning, cutting lines can make you feel a little edgy, but if you're careful, you 're going to be all right. Employ the following rules:
Read all directions before doing anything else, and clear the field of stones and resident wildlife. Protective clothing including ear defenders can be useful for louder, stronger motors, particularly if it will take a long time. Sturdy boots are a must. When strimming overgrown areas, it is necessary to have protective glasses as strimmers can throw stones and other sharp objects your way.
Make sure you are away from the business end before turning on a strimmer. Usually, electric and battery strimmers feature a start button, but petrol strimmers operate on a pull cord that can be put into action.
With a corded strimmer please ensure that the cord is far away from the line of cutting before pressing the button.
Take your time when strimming an edging job or a rough brushwood affair.
Look out for stumbling dangers, stones, tiny walls, garden ornaments, cats, dogs and little children
How Does a Grass Strimmer Work?
Garden strimmers use centrifugal energy. The line is essentially no good for cutting as it is, but when spinning rapidly it becomes rigid. Grass and debris are expelled from the strimmer as a consequence of how the spool spins.
This is what it is for! To find the cutting edge, you'll need to remove the line as required, and actually wield the strimmer in front of your lawn, but it's easy enough. Strimmers cut where the line turns, and not in the system centre.
How Would One Replace a Strimmer Line?
Replacing the strimmer line is not complicated but it can be tricky and frustrating. Finally, even with the avoidance of rocks, stones and roots, you will have to remove it, so don't be afraid-get stuck in.
Second, see to it that the strimmer is unplugged or switched off.
Next get your extra line of strimmer out.
Pull the casing from the unit and put the new strimmer line in the starting hole of the spool, winding this around the guiding arrows.
It's worth it to take your time to ensure it's finished properly, otherwise the strimmer could jam and you'll need to start over again.
Cut it with approximately six inches to spare and install the end into the eyelets of the spool once you reach full power, or reach the end of the strimmer line.
You would then have to place the spool back in, ensuring the strimmer line fits any outer eyelets.
Eventually, remove the casing of the strimmer by lining up the tabs and down on it until you hear it click.
What if You Have a Petrol Strimmer - How Would You Start It?
Two stroke petrol strimmers need to work with the correct mix of petrol so follow the guidelines of the manual before filling the tank to around 2/3rds full to ensure the cap is securely in place.
Push the priming bulb so that fuel may enter. Oftentimes, gardeners need to do this up to eight times so if you need to, put your glasses on.Trigger the 'on' button whenever the fuel is spotted.
Then there's the choke. Put the choke in the start position, if you have a cold strimmer.
Consider placing your strimmer on the floor so that the cord faces upwards. Ensure there's nothing on the cutting line then keep the strimmer neck and pull the cord. Be slow about it until you feel the resistance and then give it a hard tug.
foIt may take a few pulls before the engine fires up, don't feel too bad if you can't do it properly, just keep going.it took some gardeners an entire morning.
Once the engine starts, activate the choke and let it purr away.
Why Does a Petrol Strimmer Cut Out?
There are a couple of reasons for this:
- The combination of fuels is wrong. Two motors require the right mixture of fuel and two stroke oil. You will need the guidelines to find your machine's correct ratio. Also mix the fuel in the right container and not the engine directly, so the liquid mixes correctly. You've run out of petrol, is another reason!
- A blockage may be another explanation. If no petrol appears in the priming bulb then its filter might have blocked the tank. By removing the casing and easing the filter in the right position you can change that.
- If you put on some other attachment, such as the head of a brush cutter and its shaking or vibrating, then it is a sure indication that your strimmer may have overheated.
10 - XCEED EX36CGT 36V 30cm Cordless Grass Trimmer
The XCEED EX36CGT 36V 30cm Cordless Grass Trimmer is the ideal lawn edging solution, as it comes with a wheeled lawn edge feature.
This grass trimmer is incredibly versatile and, in addition to being the best tool for edging lawns, it is also customizable to enable you to skim under shrubs and furniture. As well as cutting grass uniformly on sloped terrain, the head can be angled to deal with cutting beneath shrubs.
The strimmer features a Samsung 36V battery, and lasts between charges for about half an hour. It is completely recharged in an hour or so.
The strimmer therefore has an auto feed line that comes with a guard to avoid unintended beheading of your flowers.
This strimmer is very light and a pleasure to use, making it perfect for taking care of lawn edging
Features and Benefits
- Excellent value as the powerful 36V motor aids gardeners to keep the lawn looking good in areas that are hard to reach for lawnmowers
- The trimmer can be adjusted to accommodate different height requirements, which eliminates backache issues
- Masters difficult edges and vertical surfaces with minimum effort
- Converts from a trimmer to an edger you can walk behind to a mini-mower within seconds without having to use tools
- Trimmer head can be angled at 0 to 90 degrees which is fantastic for when you need to trim sloped surfaces
9 - Garden Gear Cordless Strimmer Telescopic Lightweight Frame Grass Trimmer
The Garden Gear Cordless Strimmer comes equipped with a 20V lithium-ion battery and is customizable making it user-friendly and flexible.
This cordless strimmer moves effortlessly through tall grass, and lightweight weeds like nettles. The cutting width of 26 centimeters offers a good finish on turf, and is compact enough to get into tough corners. The device also features an edge guide and has a detachable wheel to promote the tidying of edges of the lawn.
On short grass, the battery lasts about 35 minutes and on tougher jobs about 25 minutes. The lightweight aluminium shaft can be adjusted from 95 to 115 cm, making it really comfortable to use this strimmer.
The head is very easy to adjust to a 90 degree angle, making it an effortless procedure to trim around challenging slopes.
The battery can be used in other Garden Gear products as it is a one-size-fits all accessory.
Features and Benefits
- The user will receive 10 spare blades with the trimmer. However, there is no need to worry about obtaining spares from your local hardware as the trimmer attachments are industry standard
- 26cm cutting width is perfect for dealing with overgrown grass, brambles, and weeds
- Durable telescopic aluminium shaft is easy to extend from 95cm to 115cm
- Long lasting lithium-ion battery so there is no worries about being restricted when performing trimming duties
8 - NETTA Cordless Grass Trimmer
The NETTA Cordless Grass Strimmer has an 18V battery and is lightweight and effective in trimming the edges of your lawn and any overgrown areas.
With just 2.3 kilograms the machine is very light. The handle can also be modified from 58 cm to 90 cm which makes it convenient to use despite your height. The strimmer heads can be set to 180 degrees enabling you to quickly edge the lawns. The soft grips make using it very comfortable, even for extended periods. The line is easy to incorporate and to adjust and has a solid and reliable safety guard. The battery lasts for hours-on light jobs for up to 45 minutes.
This grass strimmer is doing a great job on trimming the edges of the lawn and can handle longer grass and light weeds with ease.
One thing is for sure, the grass strimmer offers excellent value for money.
Features and Benefits
- Lightweight and durable as it only weighs 2.3kg, which offers plenty of freedom to move around in your garden
- Experience minimum strain on your back when using this strimmer
- Features a telescopic pole handle and adjustable head that can be adjusted at a 180-degree angle
- Cutting diameter of 23cm
- Ergonomic design enables the user to cut in any position
7 - VonHaus 550W Grass Trimmer With Adjustable Telescopic
The VonHaus 550W Grass Trimmer is an attractive and easy garden tool to use and can keep the edges of your lawns orderly with minimal hassle.
This corded solution delivers power when needed. It features a height-adjustable handle and head that can be rotated to trim your edge with hardly any effort. The strimmer comes equipped with an auto-feed spool that is so precise and effective that cutting is always at the right length. The 1.5 mm cutting line is indeed very reliable, and when working near flower beds, the flower shield safeguards your plants. There's a lot of power to manage overgrown areas and weeds.
Basically, if you're not too preoccupied with a cordless strimmer, this is the perfect garden strimmer for your yard.
Features and Benefits
- Telescopic handles extend to 20cm to give the gardener or use a reach of 1.4 metres
- Comfortable operation is made possible due to the trimmer head that can be angled at your preferred position
- Flower guard included safeguarding your precious plants
6 - BLACK+DECKER ST5530-GB Corded Grass Strimmer
A nice option is its auto-select technology that enables you to select a setting that aligns with the job at hand.
This strimmer is hot on technology in terms of E-drive technology such as a high torque gear system that helps to push through overgrown grass.
With 550W of power, the engine is pretty powerful too. It tackles strimming duties at 7500rpm and you won't have to trim the same area over again.
You want to be aware of the fact that it only has a six-meter cord, so you might need an extension lead, but that's not too much of a problem as it's one of the best bargain strimmers.
Since it's BBQ time this summer, this strimmer is designed to suit your height with a telescopic shaft and a second handle for a smooth, secure grip – manoeuvrability is good since it weighs in at only 2.5 kg – one of our lightest suggestions.
If you want a corded garden strimmer to offer comfort and ease of use then this is the best strimmer for you.
It also has the all-important auto-feed spool that pushes the line out when you need it to do so. Therefore, there is no need to bump the unit
Another plus is the handy wheel edge guide that's a nice touch to quickly zoom along those floral borders too.
Features and Benefits
- The adjustable second handle is great for matching various height requirements
- E-drive technology makes powering through tough grass an effortless exercise
- Fast job completion thanks to 30cm swathe
- Automatic single line feed system saves a lot of time in that no bumping is needed
- Perfect lawn edges made possible thanks to edging wheel
5 - ParkerBrand 52cc Petrol Garden Brush Cutter Grass Trimmer
We've come across the ParkerBrand 52CC Petrol Strimmer, which is seen as the best petrol strimmers currently on the market.
Petrol strimmers are usually stronger than electric strimmers and more fitting for hard work such as coping with oversized gardens and plots of land.
The powerful machine has no trouble going all out, so you won't have any worries about those dock leaves, hard stingers, or brambles. It's not as loud as other petrol strimmers, but it's recommended you opt for good quality earplugs if you're going to use it for a while.
It does not feature an auto-feed spool, but the spool with the bump headline works very well.
Apart from its power, one of the best features on this strimmer is the brush-cutter attachment
For heavy jobs, roots, thick brambles and undergrowth, brush-cutters are used. Any traditional strimmer line would simply snap.
It's a 10.8 kg touch heavy that's something to take into consideration if you have a broad garden and don't like hard work. However, it has a robust brace to take the weight off your shoulders. For petrol strimmers this is an average weight.
The handle is not telescopic but it is long, which is crucial with a powerful machine like this one.
Features and Benefits
- Reliable and strong strimmer as it boasts a powerful 52cc Two-Stroke Engine
- Features a grass trimming spool attachment and brush cutter
- Fuel mixing bottle, harness, and tool kit are all included
4 - Bosch ART 23 SL Electric Grass Trimmer with Cutting Diameter
The Bosch ART 23 SL Electric Grass Trimmer is equipped with a 280-watt motor that is more than powerful enough to trim your garden's boundaries and tidy up around the birdbath where a lawnmower normally can't go, but it can't cross brambles – you 're going to need something heavier for hard growth.
For ease-of-use, it has a 100 cm shaft and double grip handles, and at 1.7 kg you would be hard-pressed to find anything lighter. The semi-automatic spool line ensures that you can just get on with your job.
One disadvantage is the short cord that is only two meters in length, but an extension lead will not break the bank at this price.
Features and Benefits
- Very lightweight as it manages to work through a cutting diameter of 23cm effortlessly without breaking a sweat
- Access hard to reach areas of your lawn with ease where other strimmers that are bulkier will not otherwise reach
- Well balanced and lightweight motor ensure distributing your body weight is not a problem
- Optimum trimming length ensures it is user-friendly due to its functional cutting system
- The second handle offers a comfortable grip for easy handling of the strimmer
3 - Makita DUR181Z 18V Body Only Cordless Li-ion Line Trimmer
The Makita DUR181Z 18V Body Only Cordless Li-ion Garden Strimmer is revered by many as one of the best grass strimmers. That is to say, if you're looking for a cordless system that still provides a lot of power and is straightforward to handle.
This trimmer is incredibly flexible and can be modified to match both your height and the cutting angle. The line is served by merely bumping the bump feed into the ground, causing this to be less of a mishap than other grass strimmers. The cordless technology offers an easy to use strimmer without having to trail cords or extension leads.
This strimmer is lightweight and user friendly. Cutting the edges of the lawn is accurate enough, and is strong enough to cut tough weeds and plants.
Features and Benefits
- Low noise trimmer is well suited to both public spaces and residential areas
- 7,800 rpm ensures faster cutting
- Equipped with built-in lock-off lever
2 - Ryobi OLT1832 ONE+ Cordless Grass Trimmer
For the simplicity of cordless technology, the Ryobi OLT1832 ONE+ Cordless Grass Strimmer does a fantastic job as a brand for their 18 V battery technology that provides plenty of power for all your grass trimming requirements.
The machine is strong enough to deal with overgrown foliage and does a smooth job of edging the lawn.
The head has a cutting diameter of 25-30 cm and pivots to allow reaching into tight corners. The line automatically adjusts by simply offsetting the power. The strimmer quickly switches between edging and trimming. The unit is lightweight and fully adjustable which makes it easy to use.
This strimmer lasts between charges for ages with a suitable battery which is not included.
This trimmer is lightweight and fast
Features and Benefits
- With just an 18V ONE+ battery you can easily power up to 70 or more tools, including the garden strimmer
- Grass and weed cutting is an effortless exercise thanks to the adjustable cutting width of 25 to 30cm
- Versatile trimming thanks to pivoting string head that offers three positions
- EasyEdge Technology allows one to quickly transition between trimming and edging modes
1 - BLACK+DECKER 18V Cordless 28 cm String Grass Trimmer
It is also a pretty incredible strimmer, featuring a high starting torque gear system that can whizz at 8500rpm with a 28 cm cutting swathe through rough and overgrown areas.
However, that doesn't mean that on lighter jobs it's heavy-handed, as there is a power pick option. You can pick ECO for low key edging, thinning and maximum run time, or choose Turbo for heavier development.
Confess it, you have wanted a turbo button all along. Now you have the opportunity to make your dreams come true.
A strimmer 's handling capacity is a make or break deal, but this strimmer 's ergonomic nature ensures the handle distributes the weight evenly at 2.6kg.
Features and Benefits
- This garden strimmer is ergonomically designed and perfect for trimming any excess grass that grows around your wall, in pathways, or through your flowerbeds
- Cuts up to 2,500 linear metres on a single charge
- Automatic Feed System lets one focus on the job at hand
- The secondary handle is easy to adjust to ensure ease of control at all times
Last update on 2021-12-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API